New York City Medical Malpractice Attorneys Represent Injured Victims
The New York City medical malpractice attorneys at Leeds Brown Law, P.C. play a critical role in protecting those injured through the negligence of doctors, hospitals and other medical professionals. The New York region is known for having some of the finest doctors, nurses and hospital staff in the world. Unfortunately, this does not mean that they all do every single thing properly every time. Sometimes, health care providers make mistakes or decisions that cause serious injury. When a medical professional causes injury to someone because of a negligent, careless or reckless act, the victim or the victim’s family may seek monetary damages by filing a medical malpractice claim against the responsible party.
The medical malpractice attorneys at Leeds Brown have decades of experience handling New York medical malpractice claims. We understand how to deal with large insurance companies and are not afraid to take these cases to trial when necessary. If you have been injured by a medical professional, contact the medical malpractice lawyers at Leeds Brown for a free case evaluation.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
Negligence occurs when a health care provider fails to act in accordance with the accepted standards and practices of his or her field. Medical malpractice is the term used when such negligence results in an injury or fatality to a patient. It is important to remember that a mistake made by a health care professional can be malpractice only when there is negligence, a reckless act or an intentional act by that practitioner causing injury.
The health care industry is highly regulated and understandably so. After all, when we put our lives in other people’s hands, we want to know that they are following certain rules. Doctors, nurses, other health care providers and hospital administrators are required to exercise a certain standard of care when treating patients. New York City Malpractice Comes in Many Forms
Think about how many different health care practitioners there are in your life – your physician and his staff, your dentist and her staff, your child’s doctor. Now consider how many more there might be if you have an illness or require emergency treatment. You may interact and be treated by emergency room doctors, nurses, orderlies, surgeons, orthopedists, x-ray technicians, radiologists, specialists and more.
During any one of these exams and visits, whether they are routine or not, carelessness can occur. Any mistake or lapse in judgement by one of these health care providers can cause injury or death.
The attorneys at Leeds Brown have worked with many families in New York who have been impacted by medical malpractice. Each case is unique, but, there are some common situations that give rise to many of the cases of medical negligence we see.
- Prescription medication error – If you are injured because someone gave you the wrong dose of medication or the wrong medication entirely, it may be malpractice. If you suffer because someone mislabeled a medication, failed to warn you about side effects or prescribed a dangerous one (you were allergic to or it negatively interacted with another drug you were taking), you may have a claim for medical negligence.
- Surgical error – If you are injured because a surgeon or nurse left a surgical instrument in your body, performed surgery on the wrong part of your body, or caused nerve damage or other internal damage, you may have a malpractice claim in New York State. Anesthesia errors during surgery can also cause permanent injury like blindness or paralysis and form the basis of a negligence case.
- Misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis – Sometimes, health care professionals miss something even when they are exercising the proper standard of care. If this is the case, there is no malpractice. However, if a doctor does not exercise proper care and his negligence results in a misdiagnosis or lack of diagnosis, the injured party may have a malpractice claim.
- Mistakes during childbirth – When a doctor delays the decision to do a cesarean section, it can cause harm to the mother, baby or both. Many malpractice cases involve errors during or prior to childbirth and include things such as failure to diagnose birth defects, failure to respond to fetal distress and failure to reasonably anticipate complications.
- Product liability – Medical devices sometimes cause injuries. Breast implants, hip implants and filter implants, in particular, have been known to break or not work as promised. Sometimes, the manufacturers and sellers of these parts, along with the doctors who recommend them, are held responsible for injuries they cause.
Medical malpractice lawsuits in New York, based on claims like these, can arise from other situations as well. For instance, there have been malpractice cases involving radiation overexposure, breach of confidentiality, practicing with no license, patient abandonment, and hospital borne infections.
Medical Malpractice Causes Serious Injuries
Injuries to victims of medical negligence in New York City and the surrounding areas vary greatly. Some patients experience mild, brief illnesses and others may develop sepsis that leads to death. Medical malpractice can cause patients to undergo additional surgeries, have extended hospital stays or suffer permanent paralysis or brain damage. Pain and suffering, emotional distress and financial trouble also occur. Lost wages and increased medical costs can add tremendous stress to an already difficult situation.
Medical Malpractice Cases in New York City
What can you do? You can contact Leeds Brown Law, P.C. You may want to consider filing a medical malpractice claim against the doctor, hospital, nurse or other health care provider who caused your injury.
It can be tricky to figure out exactly who is responsible for the negligent act that caused your injury. We have the investigative resources you need to prove your case. We also have access to the medical experts you may need to explain the extent of your injuries and the facts surrounding your treatment.
The attorneys here at Leeds Brown know how to navigate the complexities of New York medical malpractice cases and will work tirelessly to ensure that your rights are protected. Our compassionate attorneys are available around the clock to make things easier for you. Our lawyers will listen to your story and help you determine the course of action to take to obtain the compensation you deserve.
Contact the medical malpractice attorneys in New York City of Leeds Brown Law, P.C. today. Call us at 1-800-585-4658.