If I believe that I have been a victim of discrimination, whom should I contact?

If an individual believes that they have been discriminated against under the New York City Human Rights Law they can either file a lawsuit directly in court or file a complaint with the New York City Commission on Human Rights (NYCCHR).
Under the dual filing arrangement between the NYCCHR and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), an individual who believes their employer or potential employer has discriminated against them can file a complaint with the NYCCHR. Additionally, the individual can have the NYCCHR file that complaint with the EEOC if there is a claim under a federal law that the EEOC enforces, such as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). On the other hand, if an individual files a complaint with the EEOC first, they can ask the EEOC to dual file with the NYCCHR.
Under dual filing arrangements, the dual filing preserves an individual’s rights under the federal, state or local law. Also, the entity with which an individual initially files a complaint typically retains the charge for investigation.
The specific rules and procedures for filing a complaint under the New York City Human Rights Law are complicated; an individual should first consult a qualified attorney.
Leeds Brown Law, PC is dedicated to providing the highest quality guidance and representation to clients with a broad range of legal issues in Nassau County, throughout Long Island, and elsewhere in the New York metropolitan area. In many matters, our attorneys accept clients from throughout the United States as well. Over the last two decades, our attorneys have become widely known and respected, locally and nationally, for their ability to litigate complex legal issues effectively and for the results our firm has achieved, particularly in the areas of employment law, civil rights, discrimination and sexual harassment.
We would be happy to discuss your discrimination or harassment matter in confidence, and provide free consultations to answer your questions and evaluate your claim. Contact us today to discuss your case with an attorney and discover how we can help you.