Michael A. Tompkins
Michael A. Tompkins of Leeds Brown Law is a graduate of the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill (B.A.), Indiana University – Bloomington (M.S.), and Hofstra University School of Law (J.D.) and works for Leeds Brown Law on complex litigation related to class and collective actions, including those based under the Fair Labor Standards Act and New York Labor Law. Mr. Tompkins has also been involved in large scale securities class actions and consumer fraud class actions in various courts. During his time with Leeds Brown Law and under the direction and supervision of Senior Partners Jeffrey K. Brown and Lenard Leeds, Mr. Tompkins has helped develop the wage and hour and class action department within the firm’s existing infrastructure. Mr. Tompkins has served as class counsel in dozens of class actions and has been acknowledged for his involvement in those cases. See e.g. Malcok v. SEB Service of New York, Inc., Case No. 11-CV-5089(MDG) (E.D.N.Y. March 13, 2017) (“[Mr. Jeffrey K. Brown, Mr. Michael A. Tompkins, Ms. Suzanne Leeds and co-counsel] have experience litigating class and collective actions based on wage and hour claims. … This Court observed counsel’s performance in this action … and finds that their performance in both litigating and settling this case demonstrates their commitment to the classes and to representing the interests of the classes.”); see also Tart v. Lions Gate Entm't Corp., 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 139266 at *7 (S.D.N.Y. Oct. 13, 2015) (“Virginia & Ambinder, LLP and Leeds Brown Law, P.C. are experienced and well-qualified employment and class action lawyers with expertise in prosecuting and settling labor law cases.”); Cohan v. Columbia Sussex Management, LLC, 2018 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 170192 (E.D.N.Y. Sept. 28, 2018) (“Class counsel [LBL and V&A] are well known class action employment lawyers who have extensive experience and special expertise in prosecuting and settling FLSA and NYLL wage and hour cases.”); Garcia v. Exec. Club LLC, No. 10-cv-1545 (SHS), 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 189823 (S.D.N.Y. May 10, 2012) (“Class Counsel [V&A and LBL] have experience prosecuting and settling employment class actions, including wage and hour class actions and are well-versed in wage and hour law and in class action law.”); Varela v. Building Services Industries, LLC, Index No. 600037/2016 (Sup. Ct. Nassau Cty. June 21, 2018) (“the Court finds that class counsel [including Michael A. Tompkins] have established their significant experience prosecuting employment class actions and their work performed in the representing the interests of the class members in this action.”).
Mr. Tompkins has been involved in more than 70 class or collective actions settlements, which has resulted in over $80,000,000 available to class members to collect since 2011. Mr. Tompkins has also spoken as symposiums and events regarding wage violations, class action settlements, and worker protections.
- Employment Law / Employee / Employer
- Wage / Hour / Overtime Pay
- Unpaid Commissions
- Complex Litigation – Class or Collective Actions
- Consumer Fraud
- Deceptive Practices
- Trusts & Estates
- Contract Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution / Mediation
- General Practice
- Hofstra University School of Law (J.D.)
- Honors:Hofstra Labor & Employment Law Journal, member; Public Justice Foundation, member
- Indiana University – Bloomington (M.S.)
- University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill (B.A.)
- Nassau County Bar Association
Board or Bar Certifications
- New York State Bar, Second Department
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Northern District of New York
- Second Circuit, Court of Appeals
Since 2012, helped Leeds Brown Law recover at least $75 million in settlement funds for potential claimants in class actions under the New York Labor Law – many of which allege violations regarding unpaid wages and unpaid gratuities.
- Involved in nearly 60 unpaid intern cases against major corporation, including high profile settlements against Fortune 500 companies.
- Lectured on intern rights and legal claims asserted by unpaid interns.
- Panelist at Hofstra Labor and Employment Journal Symposium.
- Worked as the primary Leeds Brown associate on wage and hour settlements for nearly 150 collective or class actions.
- Litigated hundreds of unpaid wage cases in Federal and State Court in the NYC area.
- Worked with partners to coordinate and develop the class action division within Leeds Brown Law.
- Worked for the U.S. House of Representatives in the Office of Congressman John Spratt (S.C., 5) during sessions of the 110th Congress, helping with State Childrens’ Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) among other pending legislation.
- Worked in the fundraising office for Sheheen for Governor during Sen. Vincent Sheheen’s 2010 gubernatorial election in South Carolina.
- Helped coordinate electronic and ESI discovery guidelines for class and collective actions for Leeds Brown Law
- Aided clients in pursuing political remedies during the 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 New York State legislative sessions.
Civic or Community Involvement
- Volunteer at Veterans Assistances Clinic at Hofstra Law School, and various other community service organizations